Who Should Perform?
This pooja is performed by Unmarried girls and Married ladies. After Marriage, This pooja should be performed by Ladies for 9 years. This pooja will protect Pathi(husband), brothers and male members of the family from all dangers and long lasting healthy life .
When to Perform?
This pooja is performed on Ashaada Maasa Amavasya
Collect all the required pooja items listed below:
- Make idols of shiva and parvathy in Mud. It should resemble like Jaggery as shown in the below pic. (A pair of mud kalikamba lamps representing Shiva and Parvati or picture of Shiva and Parvati or Silver lamps).
This is how kalikamba should be made
- Thembittu lamps or traditional lamps
- Yellow thread(for Mangalya of Parvathi devi)
- Turmeric root(for Mangalya of Parvathi devi)
- Betel leaves
- Betul nuts
- Mango(Only fruit permitted during saaka vrata)
- Sacred thread
Step by step Procedure
- In cases of failing to do Kalikambas,pooja must be done at least with the picture of shiva parvathy.
- Out of 2 Kalikambas, treat one of them as Parvathy and tie the Mangalya to it
- Make 9 knots in a 9 layered thread and keep ready in the pooja mantap
- clean the pooja place and keep the mane ready
- Fill a plate with rice and place the kalikambas on it
- Place the sacred thread near the kalikambas
- Perform Ganapathy pooja and pray for doing pooja without any obstacles
- Do Pooja to Lord Shiva and parvathy as usual by offering Kumkum, turmeric, Gajavasthras,flowers etc
- Perform Arati
- Do the urutani(See the Notes)
- Then tie the thread to her right had by the elder most person in your family
- offer the Prasadam to Lord shiva and parvathy
- Take Arathi with 9 Thambeetu deepa(See notes for Thambeetu preparation). In case of not able to prepare thambettu deepa, alternatively perform with 9 mud lamps or 9 wick deepa
- Read the story of bheemana Amavasya
- Perform poonar pooja(Pooja by applying haldi kumkum need to be done after the completion of the pooja) immediately
- Then get the blessings from elders
- Distribute Vilathale adike with blouse bit, dakshine, fruits and flowers to sumangali ladies and get their blessings
- ven pongal using toor dal
- 9 karadakadubu or somasi
- Chittranna made from pepper (Saaka vrata)
- Curd rice
- Mango fruit
- Payasam(Whatever permitted in saaka vrata)
Amidst of those busy life and changing environment, atleast one has to prepare 9 somasi or karadakadubu and should offer to Lord Shiva and Parvathy
This is a Vratha available in Skanda Purana
Once there lived a king whose son(the Prince) dead prematurely. The King was getting his son married in a grand manner. Still he decides to get dead son married by announcing rewards for those who come forward to give their daughter to this dead son.
A poor Brahmin comes forward to marry his daughter to the dead prince. The wedding was celebrated . That was a Amavasya Day. After the marriage celebration was over, the dead prince’s body was brought near Bhageerathi River for final rites. As the people were preparing the pyre, thunder and lightening strikes along with heavy rains. The people panicked and ran back to their homes leaving the dead body and the innocent girl there itself.
The girl remembered that it was the day of Jyothirbheemeshwari vrata, which her mother made her perform without fail every year. She took bath in the river and molded two lamps and rolled out fiber of a plant to form the wick for the lamps. She poured water into the lamps and did bhandara with Mud as there was no rice/wheat .
Shiva & Parvathi were the silent spectators for all her activities and were pleased with her devotion and blessed her.
She finished her pooja with whatever is available at that place.
As she finished her pooja Rudradevaru and Parvathi Deviyaru appeared before her. Lord Shiva broke the mud balls / bandara and asked her to ask for a boon. She requested them to bring her husband back to life, which was granted. The people next day were happy and surprised to see the prince alive and they took the two back in a procession and they lived happily ever after.
Thus the Vratha became more popular after this incident.
Dissolve the Kalikambas in water or Place the kalikambas in Tulsi pot
- The girl who performed the pooja should sit on a mat facing the east. She is given the betel leaves, betel nuts and fruits.
- While she hold it with both her hands,urutani is done.The lady who does urutani, applies haldi to her cheeks, hands and legs.
- With the paste made from haldi & Chunna(Limestone,) the red coloured paste is applied as mehandi design on her legs.
- rice flour – 1 cup
- Jaggery – 1/2 cup
- Ghee and milk – as needed
- Fry the rice flour until the raw smell leaves
- Heat jaggery in a pan with little amount of water
- add Flour to it
- using Ghee and Milk round the balls and make it as small cups
- fill those cups with the ghee and put the wick and your thambittu deepa is ready
follow the recipe in this link: http://www.chefandherkitchen.com/2012/07/karida-kadubu-fried-modak-kari-kudumulu.html
Avoid using coconut, cardamom as it is not allowed in Saaka vratha
|| Sri Krishnarpanamasthu ||