- It is one of the commonly celebrated festival in India.
- In South India, people have a system called golu(Display of dolls) for all the nine days and invites friends and family for arishina kumkuma
- It is celebrated in Ashvayuja Masa Shukla Paksha.
- According to Indian Lunar calendar, it has to be celebrated in the first nine days of Sharad Rutu (Indian Autumn season). So it is also called Sharad-Navaratri.
- In Ashvayuja Maasa Mahatme of Bhavishyottara Purana Lord Narayana himself has explained about its significance to Sri Narada.
- Starting from the day one of Ashvayuja month and till the tenth day, one should observe Navaratri ritual to please Goddess Mahalakshmi in form of Nava (9) Durga.
- The purana emphasized that Goddess Lakshmi will fulfill all her devotees’ wishes by taking various forms viz Jayanti, Mangala, Kali, Swadha, Swaha, Kapalini, Durga, Kshama, Shivaa, Dhatree.
- It is a common practice to recite srinivasa kalyana, Lakshmi shobhane, Sundara Kaandam etc by Women all the days and Men have the practice of doing sumadhwa vijaya paraayana on everyday and doing samarpaana on Vijayadasami day(Madhva Jayanthi)
How to Keep Golu/Kolu
- A Kolu/Golu is a arrangement of steps for displaying clay dolls, toys etc
- The number of steps should be in odd number: 3,5,7,9,11
- Readymade Kolu racks are available in Market. On normal days, you can utilize the same rack as book shelves or any purpose your home needs
- One quick tip is busy the rack very early so that you dont need to pay high prices because of the demand in Navrathri time
- You need a Cloth(Dhothi) to cover the steps and pushpins or safety pins to pin the ends properly
- In case of not having a rack, you can custom steps using the boxes or tables you already have in home
- In Tamilnadu, we have Kadhi craft Doll sales two to three months before navarathri
- Mostly common available doll in every home includes:Ashta lakshmi, Dashaavatharam, Durga , saraswathy, Mahalakshmi, Chettiar bommai, Wedding set, Choppu saaman, Pillayaar(Ganesh), Chettiar bommai etc
- Every year it is a tradition to buy one new doll atleast
- After the wedding, for the first navarathri, Girls parent used to gift her clay dolls for Navarathri
- This kolu setup is totally creative. You can make Mountains, park, zoo, anything as you want
- There are more sets available in Market: Narasimha avathara, Brahmothsavam, Srinivasa Kalyanaam, Tulasi pooje, Sri ranganatha, Paanduranga, etc
- Marappachi bommai(Wooden dolls gifted during marriage by parents) is a must to decorate and place in Kolu
- Try to arrange the dolls in Tharatamya order(Madhwa Philosophy)
- Keep the Kolu on Mahalaaya AMavasya day, Place the dolls in the evening itself
- Keep the kalasa on the rack first
- Draw a colorful rangoli in front of the kolu
- Place kutthu vilakku (Deepadha Kamba) on both sides
- Do not Keep the dolls that are partly broken or damaged in the kolu
- Even if you buy lot of new dolls, It is the old dolls that you should always include with new ones
- If you are arranging five step kolu (for example)means Try to keep God dolls in first four steps , in the last step you can keep chettiyar , Cricket set , Marriage set, etc
- Do pooja to the kalasa every morning and evening in all the nine days
- Eveyday do Sundal as Neivedhya and Distribute it to the Mutthaidharu by inviting them to your house
- On the evening of vijaya dasami(last day), Do udi thumbodhu to Marapachi(wooden doll) and keep the dolls in the sleeping position. Move the kalasa a little bit towards north
Links on Mahalakshmi:
Mahalakshmi Ashtothra Satha namaavali
Mahalakshmi dwadasa nama sloka
Links on Durga:
Durga Ashtothra satha namaavali
- it falls on Maha Navami during Navratri.
- Historically Ayudha Puja was meant to worship weapons but in its present form all sort of instruments,gadgets, cars, bikes etc are worshipped on the very same day.
- Clean the house and Apply Sandalwood kumkum to all doors windows, gadgets, kitchen tools etc
- Do the Saraswathy Avaahana on the moola nakshathra day.
- Place the Goddess Saraswathi’s photo frame or idol facing the East or West besides, the books representing saraswathi. Musical instruments are also kept for the puja.
- First light the oil lamp. Apply sandalwood paste and kumkum on the forehead, palms and feet of the Goddess and then garland with flowers, gajavastra. Also apply on the books and musical instruments.
- Do it visarjanam on the mentioned mugurat day
- Prepare ele appam as Neivedhyam and offer to goddess Sarawathy
- Chant Sarawathy slokas and songs as much as possible
Sarawathy Ashtothra Satha Namavali
Saraswathy Dwadasa nama sthothram
Dasara padgalu on Saraswathy
Vijaya Dashami :
- This 10th day stands for celebration of victory of good over evil.
- The Shamee tree symbolizes the victory. Being devout to this tree and offering Pooja to it will fetch victory in all our deeds.
- The pandavas completing their span of 12 year in jungle hid all weapons on this tree and proceeded to live incognito. After completing this tenure they and took back the weapons and prayed the tree for a conquer; and the achieved it too!.
- And also, Lord Rama surpassed Ravana on this day at Lanka. That is why this day is called Vijaya Dashami.
- This day also marks the birth of Sri Madhwacharyaru. Madhva Jayanthi is celebrated all over the World by Hari bhaktas
Shamee tree/Vanni maram worship:
Every one should go to this tree with family in the evening and worship with following Mantra.
Amamgalanam samanim samanim dushkrutasy cha |
Duhkapranasinim dhanyam prapadyeham samim subam ||
After that and while uttering the following sloka, every one should exchange the leaves of Shamee tree with elders, friends and relatives.
Sami samayate papam sami lohitakamtaka |
Dharitryarjuna-bananam ramasya priyavadinim ||
Karishyamanayatrayam yatha kalam sukam maya |
Satru nirvigna karti tvam Bava sri rama pujite ||
Sami samayate papam sami Satru vinasini |
Arjunasya dhanurdhari ramasya priyadarsini ||